Monday, February 20, 2012

Gossamer Gear "Murmur - 2012"

I bought a new pack, a Gossamer Gear Murmur 2012. I own 2 GG G6 packs and really like them. I even modified one of the G's. The new Murmur reminds me a lot of my modified G6 but bigger.



Gossamer Gear "Murmur - 2012"


GG Murmur 2012, review and short video


I ordered my GG Murmur on 02/16/2012 and received it on 02/18/2012.


Gossamer Gear Murmur 2012 - web site


The first thing I did after taking the Murmur Pack out of its box was to weigh it. The pack weight as shipped is 8.6 ounces.


Still Saturday 02/18/2012 - I then packed a sleeping and 2 bottles of water in it (pack weight now is 4165.3 grams or 9.18 pounds) and went for a 2 mile walk . I had to make a slight change in my clothing as it was getting warmer and then went back out for another 2 miles.


Sunday 02/19/2012 - same weight but did 6 miles.


Monday 02/20/2012 - Added some weight to bring the pack up to 4736 grams or 10.4 pounds. I expect to walk another 6 miles today. I want to get the pack weight up to 15 pounds as so as I can and see how it carries at that weight.


The GG web site lists a recommended max carry weight of 15 pounds. My goal is to design a gear list for a 3 to 5 day hike in mild weather on a trail such as the Appalachian Trail that stays at or under the 15 pound pack weight.


I will start by calculating the daily weight of my consumables and start on a gear list to see how I can keep my "Pack" weight from going over GG's recommended limit. The easy answer might be to do a few more miles per day to reduce my time between resupply points and the weight of my food.


1.

/



2.



3.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Jhaura W said...

Hi Bill, glad to see you are getting ready for a hike. I think you'll find the Murmur carries really well with 15 lbs. At one point this weekend, I had it at 16 lbs with 4 liters of water and it still felt "barely there". I never even buckled the sternum strap. I look forward to seeing more innovation from the UL Skunkworks lab!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Busana Muslim said...

Thanks lot for this useful article, nice post

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Philip Werner said...

Great to see a new post from you. I've been a fan of your site for years and years. Be well and hike.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home