Sunday, May 31, 2009

Super Ultra Light / Super Ultra Cheap PT 1 - Bivy

Making the Bivy: !!!See Notice at the bottom of this post!!!.

The first picture shows the GG Ground Cloth laying on my pattern. The size of the Ground Cloth is almost the same size as my pattern. I am leaving a 1" seam allowance. This will allow me to turn it under to reinforce the seam.

1. GG Ground Cloth on the Pattern.




2. The GG Ground Cloth is cut and weighs 41 grams or 1.44 ounces. Cost for one of 2 GG Ground Cloths = $4.00 plus shipping.



3. The Propore on the Pattern ready to mark.



4. The Propore cut and ready to sew. The weight of the Propore Bivy Top is 4.7 ounces. Cost as a new Frogg Toggs Poncho = $11.50 plus shipping.



5. Ready to start sewing.



Estimated cost for the materials only for the completed Bivy = $17.00 (+/-) a bit.
Estimated weight of the completed Bivy = 6 ounces (+/-) a bit

Sewing to follow.

NOTICE!!!!!!!!!

I had a lot of problems finding a way to sew the Polycryo material.

I would suggest anyone that wants to sew with this material that you do many tests and stress the seams a bit till you are happy with the sewing method.


6.


7.


8.



The Bivy weighs 6.1 ounces. I will make a small hood out of Propore and attach the hood sometime over the next day or so.

This Waterproof / Breathable Bivy can be made for about $17.00 if you do your own sewing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool beans, i wish the frogg togg people would sell some of their fabric or tell us their supplier. I contacted them several years ago and tried to get bulk fabric (had a bivy in mind myself back then) but had no replies. They are missing a marketing opportunity here.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Hi salemva,

I called Frogg Toggs a couple weeks ago and asked about the DiDucks material. Frogg Toggs bought out DiDucks and will not sell the material. That is when I decided to look for the Poncho and use the material from it.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home