Monday, January 12, 2009

"New" SUL External Frame / 1-1-2009 - Part 2

Next group of pictures - 12 Jan 2009

I have continued working on my new External Frame and it is ready for the Hip Belt, Shoulder Straps and Pack Bag.

The finished Frame weight is 12.5 ounces. With the 2.5 ounce Cuben Bag the current total weight is 15 ounces.

9.


10.


11.


12.


13.


14.


15.


16.


17.


18.


==

New External Frame With a Cuben Pack Bag.

The Cuben Pack Bag weighs 2.5 ounces . This frame / bag combination is just a test so I have a bag to put stuff in when I start carrying the frame to see how it works.

19.


20.


21.


==

14 Jan 2009

The picture with the pack bag is something I made to test a new material that I have recently discovered. It a woven material that is strong, almost light - 3.4 ounces per sq yard, very strong and almost free. It cuts and sews on the easy side. It is not some form of tyveck.

I think it might be strong enough to work as a material for a cheap bushwacking pack. I am going to made several packs in different sizes and try and get them tested under some harsh conditions.

1.


2.


3.


==

My goal is still a framed pack that will push away from my back. I will be trying to add that feature back in over time with the follow on versions. Some of that feature maybe in the way I finish my hip belt. One idea I have will require some of my Primitive blacksmithing skills. It will involve shaping some aluminum.

In building this frame I wanted to work out my Aluminum Tube Bending technique with this frame.

I also need to try and get this frame design lighter if I can before I add any additional weight to open up the window across my back.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should look into aluminum pop rivets instead of what appears to be stainless steel bolts once you are finished working out your shape, much lighter and better vibration/loosening resistance than bolts. though I don't doubt you have some other amazing solution to shedding even more weight from this project :-) keep up the good work, it's fun to see another inventors brain children. Bond vagabond

Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment.

The bolts you are taking about were only used until I was sure where I wanted to put my pop rivets. In most cases I use the easy to remove nut and bolts also to stablize and hold the parts tight until I used my aluminum pop rivets.

I am working on a new pack / frame idea and will start a thread on it later tonight or Friday.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:52:00 PM  
Blogger will.deciduus said...

Just wanted to say how awesome all this stuff your doing is. When i was in hi school i wanted to make bags, before cube and ultralight. My girlfriend has had a seeing machine for too long unused maybe this is a good gateway.
Thanks again!!

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home