Monday, April 16, 2007

Cuben Fiber - Rain Pants - 1.2 ounces

Cuben Fiber - Rain Pants - 1.2 ounces

My current SUL Gear List has had a pair of Cuben Chaps on a "To Make" for awhile. I also have wanted to make several clothing kits from Thru-Hiker.com. I have had one of their
Minima Vest Kit and last week got both the
Liberty Ridge Shell and
Liberty Ridge Pants Kit.

I decided to use the Liberty Ridge Pants pattern for a pair of Cuben Fiber Rain Pants. The pattern is very easy to use and making the pants went fast.

The Liberty Ridge pants come with lower side zippers to make them easy to get on and off. I decided to use sew-on snaps as they would weigh less than a set of zippers. I have 4 snaps on each leg. My rain pants open up 19" from the cuff up toward the waist - this is at my knee.






6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nice rain pants!
I've been looking with someone with some Cuben experience. How does it handle as a tarp?

Can we email?

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

I made a Poncho / Tarp out of Cuben and it is holding up well. I have several friends who have also made their own Tarps out of Cuben. There are several companies that sell tarps out of Cuben.

Cuben holds up well enough but you do need to be a bit careful with them. But you need to be careful with any tarp.

Have you looked at this Blog entry of mine?
Cuben Connection

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made a cuben,hammock, pack, tarps,stuff sacs, I use only glue strips, see kitebuilder for rolls 3/8 in wide. easy to use, the pacs are waterproof! you don't need a pac cover. the pac also uses no shoulder straps, & is counter balanced with a small front pac. both front and rear about 5 oz. slick stuff. whole skin out,clothes corried 14 lb. gnome

Saturday, February 09, 2008 2:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gnome,

Your "no shoulder strap" pack caught my eye. I also made and use one like that with the front bag keeping things balanced (think paper delivery bags that paper boys and girls used to use)

Sunday, September 07, 2008 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where can I find Cuban Fiber for sale, and how much shold I expect to pay per yard? Please reply to ts.kt@hotmail.com Thank you so much!

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Hi Tori,

If you do a web search for "Cuben Fiber to sell" you will find several places that sell it.

Quest Outfitters sells it by the yard if you need less then 9 yards as do a few other places. If you need 9 yards or amounts of 9 yards each, you can buy direct from Cuben Tech Corp. Cuben Tech only sells in 9 yard amounts.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/

http://www.cubictechnology.com/ctf3.htm

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home