Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cuben Fiber Hammock

Cuben Fiber Hammock - 6 March 2007

Ever since I bought my first yard of Cuben Fiber I have thought about trying it for a Hammock. Since it now looks like half or more of my AT Hike this year will be during the warm season and maybe also the rainy season I have decided to find a SUL way to move into a Hammock.

In the past it seemed to me that sleeping in a SUL Bivy and using a light sleeping pad of some kind along with a Poncho / Tarp over head was the lightest way to go. I have several light Hammocks made out of silk but they are still in the 12 to 14 ounce range and they still need a tarp of some kind for rainy nights. Using Cuben Fiber for both the Hammock and the Tarp I should be able to get real close to the ground set-up. I am hoping to use the Hammock without a sleeping pad so that will save me 5 to 10 ounces. If I do have to use a pad it will be smaller for the Hammock than if I was on the ground.

I don't know where the fine line will fall when it comes to total weight between the lightest ground vs hammock set-up but I expect I will find out.

This is Cuben Fiber Hammock ver. 1.0. The Cuben Fiber I am using is just a little heavier than what I like. It weighs about 0.47 ounce per sq Yard. The Cuben Fiber for the Hammock weighs a total of 2.36 ounces. The fiber density of this material is very high so it should be more than strong enough. Time will answer that question.

The Black webbing is the kind Ed Speer Hammocks uses on his line of Hammocks and will sell the webbing to anyone that wants to make their own Hammock. The small aluminum fittings are some I made to connect a short piece of the black webbing to the Hammock and to connect the white cord to. The black webbing and small aluminum fittings weigh 0.85 ounces. The white cord is a 3/32" Spectra core low stretch something from West Marine and will go from the aluminum fitting to the tree. I will use tree huggers and the white cord will attach to the tree huggers.


I am going to try and take a timed picture with me in the Hammock after I have used it awhile. I don't want to run and jump into this one till I have a few hours laying in it.



The knot holds the Hammock in the webbing.


Weight to date:
Cuben Fiber for the hammock body - 2.36 ounces
The two pieces of black webbing and two small aluminum fittings - 0.85 ounces
The white cord from the black webbing to the tree - 16 foot at 0.05 ounces per foot = 0.85 ounces
Tree Huggers - Speer Webbing - 2.89 ounces a pair

Total Weight Hanging for ver 1.0 = 6.95 ounces

I will try and nap in this hammock for a while everyday to test its durability.

Materials:
Cuben Fiber

Cuben Fiber

4 Comments:

Blogger I Named My Son After Josey Wales said...

Would you share on where you get your Cuben fabric?

Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat idea--how is it working to date (Feb 08)?

Suggestion: How about using 2 layers of the 0.33 oz/yd type. This should give a slightly stronger hammock and with 2 layers one could slide in a thin foam matt for insulation. This would lock in place once you got into the hammock. Just a thought.
Steve in Richland, WA

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

My Cuben Hammock is strong enough with one layer.

However, a two(2) layer hammock is a very logical answer. A friend of mine, who also works with a lot of Cuben, is planning a double layer hammock for just your reasons.

But there is another possible solution.

Think outside the box and see if you can come up with what I have just made that may solve the problem and also save me some weight.

No extra weight for a double bottom.

Less weight for the sleeping pad.

Could also be used during the day or while sitting around camp at night.

More details later as I am able to test this idea a bit more. I know it will work but I need colder weather to test its bottom temperature range.

I am 99.9% all about the total weight of what I carry. At times I can go lighter sleeping on the ground and I have no problem with that. When it is warmer I can use a hammock and be lighter and I will do that. I really like sleeping in a hammock but sleep fine also on the ground.

All things being equal I will go with my hammock.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
I've been asking where you purchase your Cuben and just found Quest Outfitters pricing on this thread. Thanks

Is Quest still your supplier?

Have you tried Spinn Twinn Fabric? It is "near" Cuben in weight and about 1/2 the price from what I can gather on the web.

Hammock and inslulating pads:

I tried two end boxes in my "mock" along with a double sleeve with opening in the center with ties to facilitate ease of installation and rentention.

I really like the dbl layer best as this design creates a "sheet" over the pad for greater ease of bodily movement.

Also, you might try a "mock" just wide enough to encompass the pad.

This allows one's arms NOT to compress the sleeping bag on the arms and shoulders in cold weather.

I find no problem falling out of the "mock" with such a narrow design. Plus, I sleep on my side a lot.

I should add, most of my DYI gear has been created with WalMart $1.00 a yard fabrics. It's amazing what one can find at Walmart.

WM seems to have often really light waterproof rip stop nylon at a $1.00 a yard. I haven't weighed it on my WM Good Cook digital scale, but must put that on my to do list.

AND, this might be a "biggie" for we who need to use a "pecan" in the nite? All one needs to do is stand under the tarp and straddle the "mock" using one's "pecan".

FYI: I am REALLY enjoying your engineering. I have a very similar mindset and am currently carring less than 7 pounds base in the Winter using a hammock.

I'm excited about sewing and creating my own gear using SpinnTwinn or Cuben fabrics as I have not advanced past sylnylon as of yet.

My next project will be a ST or Cuben tarp.

I've been a serious backpacker for about 3 years now and it's given me a new lease on my 67 years.

IndianaDave
dplant77@yahoo.com

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home