Monday, January 22, 2007

Cuben Fiber / PrimaLoft One - Sleeping Bag

Cuben / PrimaLoft One - Sleeping Bag

Something happened this past week to cause me to re-look at some of the gear I planned to use on my up-coming hike. We had (for San Antonio) some very cold weather (down to 26 degrees) complete with a bad ice storm. On the good side it gave me a chance to try out some of my new MYOG stuff in the coldest weather so far this winter.

I was warm enough, but laying in my Bivy while it was raining ice pellets on my small Cuben tarp, gave me some time to re-think some of my gear.

Also last Saturday I received a VaprThrm NTS Shirt, VaprThrm Pants and a new pair of their VaprThrm Insulated Socks I had ordered this from RBH Designs. Over the last couple of days I have had a chance to wear the VB shirt and pants. I want to see at what "High" temperature they become to warm or cause to much sweat for ME to continue wearing them. Both the pants and shirt have the extra venting options. I have been surprised so far at the results. The temperatures for the 2 test have been 40 degrees and a light rain and 56 degrees and more or less clear. MY results might surprise you. My results of wearing the VB things also is one of the big reasons I am re-thinking what I carry.

Back to the Sleeping Bag. I used Cuben fiber for the inter liner of a new Down quilt I just made. It uses Pertex Quantum for the outer shell. The combination of these two materials has worked well. Using Cuben for both the outer shell and the inter liner was next.

For my first, of several Cuben Sleeping Bags, I will use two layers of PrimaLoft One (pre-quilted) 1.8 ounce per sq yard insulation. The clo for PrimaLoft One is 0.84 and using two layer will give me a total clo of about 2.54.

I started by making several sleeping bag prototypes until I had one that I liked. This is my final prototype.




Next I made a full size pattern.


With a full size pattern cutting both the Cuben fiber and the insulation is easy. I expect to start sewing on Tuesday.



This picture shows how I overlapped the quilt seams. The insulation is on one piece of Cuben Fiber.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My results of wearing the VB things also is one of the big reasons I am re-thinking what I carry.

How do you mean? Are you thinking you can carry fewer cold weather clothing items because of the the VB layers?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

cutter,
Follow along with the my RBH Design VB gear test and we will find out together. The short answer is yes, I hope. I think a lot of what is possible will hinge on my activity level.

I also have to find some really cold teperatures to find out.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home