Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cuben / Pertex Quantum - Down Quilt

Cuben / Pertex Quantum - Down Quilt

I wanted to make a Down Quilt with a lot of Down in it. What I ended up with was a Down Quilt with between 4" and 4.5" of loft. It looks a little bigger than my typical quilt size. The Down Quilt is still made to go into my Bivy. It is 40" across the top, 32" at the bottom and 70" long.

It uses self-contained silk baffles - think silk quilt.


This means it is made to go inside a cover much like a comforter cover you might have a bed. The cover top is Black Pertex Quantum and the bottom is Cuben Fiber. By making it this way I have no sewing lines to leak water into the Down. The foot end can be opened to remove the silk quilt part if it needs to be washed or aired out.





I have used the finished Quilt on my bed for a week to see how the Cuben worked. It work so well that I am now making a Sleeping Bag completely out of Cuben - Inside and Out. I also used this Down Quilt inside my Bivy last week - outside on a icy night - when the temperature dropped to 26 degrees (F). I was very warm. How could you not be warm with 4" plus of Down on top of you.

This photo was taken before it was put inside the Cuben - Pertex Quantum shell.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Florell said...

Nice work on the quilt!
I am in search of Pertex Quantum fabric. May I ask were you were able to purchase your Pertex Quantum fabric?

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Sarah,
I was able to get a small amount of the Gold color Pertex Quantum over two years ago.

Pertex products today, to the best of my knowledge, are not allowed to be sold retail. The next best fabric and one that is as good or maybe even better is Momentum90 from Thru-Hiker.com. You can buy it by the yard and in 6 different colors.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:27:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah Florell said...

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up buying the Momentum 90 after my further searching turned up no results in finding the Pertex Quantum, unless I wanted to buy 550yds from the Pertex company.

I was also wondering if you had any patter/designs/tips for down sleeping socks. I posted on BPL but was unsuccessful in getting any response. I wanted to make an ultralight pair for my boyfriend who will be thru hiking the Pacific Northwest Trail. I have seen the Integral Design Hot socks and this is similar to what I would like to make. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them. Happy Hiking and Creating!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:26:00 AM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Several comments,
1 The Pertex used in the ID Hot Socks while a Pertex product, has a product number I don't think is Quantum. Pertex makes a bunch of different products and then within the product they make several versions.

The Momentum is very nice and I have a bunch of it.

2.The "ID Hot Socks" use Primaloft Sport insulation.

3. Make a few tests of your sleeping socks before using your good material.

4. Leave a good seam allowance so you don't compress the insulation along the seam line.

5.When making a pattern like this I use paper like printer paper and cut and tape till I have something close. Then I make a (what ever) out some $1 a yard stuff from Wal-Mart or other really cheap material. I might make 3 or 4 as I tweak the pattern. To big is much better than to little. You can always take in a seam but it is really hard to add more material.

6. Look up my Cuben Footies Project. At BackpackingLight.com go to the "Search Forums" click on it and put this into the box:

Cuben Footies-VBL's-0.22oz a pair.

This will give you and idea how I made my VB Socks. The same idea might work for your "Hot Socks".

Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Lighter Fluid said...

Great looking quilt, Gardenville. I am curious what fill weight of down you used? How does the Cuben feel against the skin and have you experienced any condensation due to breathability issues? What is the total weight of the quilt? How does the foot end open and close? Thanks!

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home