Sunday, March 11, 2007

Cuben Fiber Hammock Part 3

I took a couple of daylight pictures of my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp and Cuben Fiber Hammock.

What you can't see in the pictures is rain. We were having a light rain so I went out and got into my new Hammock. I wasn't sure how the small Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp would work. Laying in the Hammock the light rain picked up to a heavier rain. This went on for about 30 minutes and then slacked off a bit. The Hammock sagged enough with me in it to drop it down under the small size of the Poncho / Tarp. Once in awhile I would get a blowing drop of rain or two. When the wind picked up I pulled the Cuben Fiber from the sides up a bit around me and I stayed warm and dry.

While I was laying there watching the rain fall, I got several ideas to try that may let me use this small tarp with a couple of light weight and minor modifications. The modifications will be add ons so I can use them or leave them off.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your website and I enjoyed looking around. Your projects look great! I am interested in more of your ideas and the results of your field testing.

Monday, July 09, 2007 7:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your cuben fabric experiments online. I knew there had to be life after silnylon :-) When are you planning to thru hike the AT? I'd love to meet you in Daleville VA and take you to the local buffet, or, my favorite one a little further down the road in Vinton. You'll enjoy staying at Lamberts Meadow shelter, the deer are tame and a few bears are in the area.
Doug

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cuben rules. pac, tarp,hammock, sacks ,rain gear, hat, I use glue tapes exclusively, long seams a snap. very fast, get tapes from kite builder, (google it) the pacs are waterproof. I extend the collar and knot it! I use a small balandcing pack in front, sweet light, . I can't sew for anything!



the gnome of blue island

Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger mkirk said...

I like this design, I'm planning a fastpack/run of the BMT and want to build a cuben hammock like yours maybe with integrated insulation (down?). Do you think a cuben hammock could support me 6'3, 155? Can I email more specific questions as I work thru this project? Thanks for your blog.

matt
matthewkirk.blogspot.com

Friday, December 05, 2008 4:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home