Friday, March 03, 2006

Pot Lifter - 02/27/06

Pot Lifter - 02/27/06

I have several pot lifters and a couple are very light. I was in one of my local outfitters last week to buy a Brunton Optimus NOVA liquid fuel stove.

I looked at an MSR Titanium Cook Pot set that had a nice looking pot lifter as part of the set. I asked about the pot lifter and was told MSR sells them seperate for $12.95. It weighs 1oz.

I have a bunch of small pieces of aluminum and titanium left over from other projects and decided I would try and make a new pot lifter. I made several paper card stock models and played with them until I came up with a design that I thought might work.



I made the first version out of some thin aluminum. I made a few changes and this one works well. It will lift a mostly full 1.5 L pot of water OK. The aluminum version weighs 13.3 grams or 0.47oz.





My plan is to make a titanium version and expect it will weigh about half the aluminum version or about 0.25oz to 0.30oz.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch - M)
SUBJECT Again, Nicely done... ON 02/27/2006 11:25:29 MST
 POST REPLY

Bill, did you just 'roll' the outer handle around a pen or something?

Reply:
Q - 1. Bill, did you just 'roll' the outer handle around a pen or something?

A - 1. I used a screw driver clamped to my work bench. Sorry it happened so fast I didn't take a picture. This is what it looks like:





Jason Klass
(jasonklass - M)
SUBJECT Yea! ON 02/27/2006 21:08:17 MST
 POST REPLY

Really good idea! Keep us posted about developments!

PRINT

POSTED BY
Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch - M)
SUBJECT Screwdriver ON 02/28/2006 07:34:45 MST
 POST REPLY

Nice, I knew you had to have used a 'form' of some sort as I doubt even you could get a round that good 'freehand'.

This is going in my bookmarks for when I get time after baby is born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home