Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Flat Fold Cook Pot - Weight 0.32 ounces



I know this isn't about Cuben Fabric but I got side-tracked. There is a small group at backpackinglight.com working to make a really light weight Backpackers Cook Set. I posted my light weight cook kit. It weighed just over one ounce. Some comment was made about drinking out of something other than the Cook Pot. In this case my Cook Pot was made from a Sterno Can. I said that I carry an Orikaso Flat Fold Cup and Bowl. I mentioned that I had thought about a Folding Cook Pot but hadn't tried to make one yet.

My first test Cook Pot was made from Aluminum Foil. The Aluminum Foil was not strong enough to support itself when filled with water.

I next tried an Aluminum - Hefty Brand "E-Z Foil" Pan Liner. The Pan Liner worked well and I have boiled water in this Cook Pot two times so far. I have folded and unfolded the Cook Pot many times now and it is holding up OK. The Flat Fold Cook Pot weighs 0.32oz. My first boil test was use with an Esbit Tablet. For the second boil test I used my modified Brasslite Turbo I alcohol stove. The time to a rolling boil for both tests was between 4 and 5 minutes.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill - I just started following your blog after you suggested the link via the MakeGear Yahoo! group.

I see you've been testing the important aspect of the folding pot's ability to boil water. How is the testing coming when you add in something like your first project, the pot gripper? Stability and balance both whilst boiling on the stove as well as in moving bowl for pouring.

Also, what are peoples comments on this type of bowl when taking into consideration things like washing oneself and laundry, et al?

- Sam "Mule" Haraldson

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I went online to search for this stuff and can't wait to try to make my own folding pot!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home